If you have spent any time on Youtube or actually create on Youtube, you likely know the amount of work that creators spend on creating the thumbnails for their videos. Do you spend the same amount of time on your cover images for Instagram?
This week I did a deep dive analysis on cover images and why they matter. The content of your cover image (or just your image if it’s a static post) can have a drastic impact on the performance of your content.
The size of impact varies from creator to creator, but so far in my Instagram Audits, I have yet to see a creator where it doesn’t have any impact.
What do the top cover images contain for 1776 Faux Farmhouse? We used a computer vision model and identified objects in all of our images for the past year. The results:
- The object that showed up in each of our high-performing posts: Cabinet (or what we know as our Sideboard)
- The second highest: A Screen, or better put, a teleivision or computer monitor
- This last one caught me off guard: Plants
How much better does each piece of content perform that has a cover image with a cabinet, screen, or plants?
Cabinets perform 106% better in reach, interactions, and engagement, screens perform about 50% better, and plants perform about 37% better in each category. The crazy thing is I don’t even knowingly place plants in my cover images, but I might start now!
- Do you have recurring objects that appear in your cover images?
- Identify trends in your posts by looking at cover images, some are very easy to spot (like our sideboard) because they are just so much better than every other piece of content.
- Spend a little bit more time crafting a specific cover image for your content and see if it leads to better performance.
Thanks for reading this weeks edition of The Saturday Social! Can’t wait till next week.
When You Are Ready, There Are 3 Ways I Can Help:
1 – If you’re looking to further improve & grow your social media using analytics, I’d recommend starting with a course:
➡️ Analytics for Content Creators: In development, but register your interest using the form below
2 – If you’re more hands off and would like us to audit your Instagram account:
➡️ 1:1 Instagram Account Audit: In development, but register your interest using the form below
3 – Promote yourself to over 140k+ followers/subscribers by collaborating with me on a project!